Business Phone systems. How often should you review?
30th October 2019
We come across companies in Telford, Shropshire, the West Midlands and beyond with business phone systems (PBX’s) that are more than 15 years old, 30 on occasion. With computers and mobile phones being updated every few years, it is reasonable to ask whether Business Phone Systems should be as well.
The answer is, of course, "it depends". Business Phone Systems have changed beyond all recognition, and if your system is over ten years old, you will almost certainly benefit from a system upgrade. That doesn’t mean it needs changing as often as your mobile phone.
Sometimes a change in business circumstance will force a review:
- An office move
- An additional location
- Rapid growth in staff numbers
- Increasing call costs
- Increasing services costs
- Business Phone System fails or is unreliable
If none of these things have happened, there are questions you can ask yourself about your business phone system.
- Does your current business phone system deliver all the features you need it to, to enable all staff to be as productive as they can be? For example, remote working, conferencing…
- Are you happy with call quality?
- Are you getting any complaints from customers or colleagues?
- Do you still have ISDN? If so, this restricts the capability of your phone system and more critically, as ISDN is scheduled to be phased out from 2025.
Modern PBX’s remain more or less unchanged from PBX’s from 10 + years ago. What has changed is the increasing number of applications available and the integration with other business systems – your CRM for example. Additional features are available to anyone with a hosted business phone system or a traditional PBX enhanced with SIP Trunks. Another key benefit is a robust Business Phones Disaster Recovery capabilities.
At Connexis, we recommend your phone system is reviewed every 1 to 3 years, but with the ISDN change scheduled, there is no time like the present.
To help you we are offering a free half day business communications audit. We will assess your business phone system, your business mobiles, business communications (connectivity), network security and CCTV.Back To News & Blog